Utility Deadline: June 30th 2020
BIEA graduate attachments provide latest graduates, with an curiosity in additional research in Africa, the chance to achieve analysis expertise and develop their networks. The July 2020 to June 2021 BIEA graduate attachment scheme will take as much as 9 profitable candidates. As a result of COVID-19 and related social distancing and journey restrictions, the scheme will encompass on-line analysis and actions till additional discover. This can embody one-to-one and group conferences through Zoom. Profitable candidates will probably be concerned in three kinds of work whereas with the BIEA:
- Acquire sensible expertise of conducting analysis by working with a named researcher on one, or a variety of, revolutionary historic, archaeological and anthropological tasks on jap Africa;
- Undertake their very own analysis with the help of a named mentor normally main into creating a plan for a Masters or PhD. The attachment includes the presentation of a paper within the BIEA Completion Webinar Collection upon some side of the analysis they’ve carried out throughout their time at BIEA.
- Aiding with the administration of the BIEA together with on-line studying teams centered on key texts in African research, and on-line workshops and seminars.
- As well as, the BIEA will provide free weekly on-line Swahili classes that graduate attachés can be part of.
- Graduate attachés will probably be given an allowance of 1,000 GBP for the three months of the attachment to assist pay for meals, analysis bills and web entry. The attachés should present receipts for his or her bills amounting to their complete allowance (small meals purchases may be written down weekly in a receipt guide/ledger).
The timing of researcher tasks usually change because of budgets and administration so can’t be assured however a listing of researchers who’ve plans for the subsequent yr is included beneath. Potential graduate attachés must also discover the BIEA Annual Assessment to seek out out about different doable tasks which might be on-going.
Graduate attachments are three months lengthy. You’ll need a powerful tutorial file, some expertise of finding out/researching Africa, and a transparent curiosity in creating your personal analysis. You must also be capable of present vital initiative and be equally adept at working alone or as half of a bigger on-line workforce. Try to be prepared to supply enthusiastic help for varied analysis tasks and information evaluation. Graduate attachés can begin between 15 July 2020 and 1 January 2021. The scheme for this yr will end on 31 March 2021. Please specify the three-month time interval(s) that you’re accessible for this scheme in your software.
Find out how to Apply
Candidates ought to ship a CV and Cowl Letter to [email protected] explaining how participation within the scheme will help the event of your profession. You’ll need to rearrange for two tutorial references to be despatched on to the BIEA ([email protected]).
Present BIEA analysis tasks embody:
- One other Phrase? East Africa and the International 1960s. Prof. Dan Department (College of Warwick), Emma Hunter (College of Edinburgh and Gerard McCann (College of York).
- Agriculture and prosperity in Africa. Dr Matt Davies (UCL)
- Election campaigns and social media. Prof. Gabrielle Lynch (College of Warwick)
- Ruth First (activist) writings on Kenya. Prof. Ambreena Manji (Cardiff College)
- Local weather change in East Africa. Prof. Henrietta Moore (UCL)
- International Finance Venture.Prof. Victor Murinde (SOAS)
- Girls in political management. Prof Catherine Ndungo (Kenyatta College)
- Palm, Sand and Fish: Conventional Applied sciences of the Daughters of the Azanian Coast of East Africa. Dr. Freda Nkrote BIEA) and Dr Matt Davies (UCL)
- Indigenous wells as biocultural heritage: neighborhood archaeology for sustainable growth in pastoralist communities of Kenya and Ethiopia. Dr Freda Nkirote (BIEA) and Prof Paul Lane (Cambridge)
- Placement with the Open Society Basis. Dr Muthoni Wanyeki (OSF) (https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org)
- Customer websites and museums on the East African Coast (Zanibar and Kilwa). Stephanie Wynne-Jones (College of York).
- Material within the African previous. Stephanie Wynne-Jones (College of York).
For Extra Data:
Go to the Official Webpage of the BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme 2020/2021