Software Deadline: Monday, June 8, 2020, (11:59 pm ET).
The Worldwide Middle for Journalists (ICFJ) is happy to associate with Fb Journalism Mission on a coaching program that permits journalists throughout the Center East and North Africa to supply high-quality and fascinating tales that shine a light-weight on life in refugee camps at the moment of the coronavirus pandemic. This system equips journalists with the abilities, sources, and technical assist wanted to supply compelling experiences that floor underreported tales from refugee camps throughout nations with giant refugee communities corresponding to Lebanon, Jordan, and Iraq. With an emphasis on the direct and oblique penalties of COVID-19 on an already struggling group. The purpose is to make sure that this weak group shouldn’t be forgotten through the international pandemic.
This system consists of the next core parts:
- An intensive four-week on-line course that provides a mixture of subject-matter and technical coaching for skilled and citizen journalists, freelancers, and stringers. The course will probably be supplied twice to a complete of 120 journalists in 2020.
- Reporting grants to assist journalists as they produce in-depth, compelling tales centered on the impacts of COVID-19 on refugee communities.
- Devoted mentorship and steering to allow individuals to use their expertise and leverage their grants to supply high-quality tales.
- A complete toolkit within the Arabic language printed on IJNet.
This system will probably be supplied twice consisting of two rounds, the phases of this system will stay the identical.
Section 1 – Digital 4-Week On-line Course: ICFJ’s digital media trainers will conduct an internet course on a coaching platform for 60 MENA journalists to extend the variety of native professionals skilled on key ideas and finest practices. The net course will happen within the month of June 2020 and can cowl the next 5 modules:
- Entry to healthcare and well being schooling and consciousness in refugee camps. How have present sources been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic? What does a pandemic imply in communities the place bodily distancing shouldn’t be an possibility?
- The liberty of motion within the time of COVID-19. What are the rights and freedoms afforded to refugees throughout the area? How are they applied? And might they be protected throughout a pandemic?
- Crowdsourcing and verifying info. How can journalists interact refugees within the storytelling course of? What are the very best practices for verifying on-line content material? What sources can journalists with restricted entry use to supply credible tales affecting folks in camps?
- Video and multimedia reporting. What new methods can journalists leverage to supply modern and fascinating content material? How can journalists interact audiences round tales affecting disenfranchised populations?
- Well being and security. How can journalists and stringers maintain themselves and their topics protected whereas reporting on the sphere? What are the sources out there to them?
Section 2 – Grant Recipients: Journalists who take part in an intensive four-week on-line course and full all of the course assignments, will probably be eligible to use for reporting grants by submitting a brief proposal on a narrative they wish to cowl utilizing their new expertise. ICFJ will award a complete of 17 grants as much as a most of $1,500 every. To assist journalists cowl a private stipend in addition to bills for gear and sources in producing in-depth, compelling tales centered on the impacts of COVID-19 on refugee communities.
Section 3 – Mentorship: As soon as grants are awarded the recipients can even have entry to sustained mentorship and steering throughout their reporting, permitting them to leverage the experience of their mentors as they produce their tales. Mentors can even supply tailor-made steering to individuals on the best way to keep protected whereas working within the area. The mentorship will probably be supplied for 3 months.
Section 4 – IJNet Arabic Media Toolkit: On the finish of this system, ICFJ will produce a media toolkit with tip-sheets, movies, and pointers utilizing the fabric from the coaching. Constantly constructing and incorporating profitable practices utilized by our grant recipients and the tales they produce. The media toolkit will probably be hosted on our IJNet Arabic.
- Reporters with an curiosity in shining a light-weight on refugee tales, however who lack the sources and capability.
- Media professionals engaged on the refugee beat.
- Journalists reporting from inside refugee camps.
- Stringers and freelancers employed by native newsrooms to report on refugee communities (an more and more frequent observe).
candidates can apply right here.
The deadline to use is Monday, June 8, 2020, (11:59 pm ET). No late or incomplete functions will probably be thought-about. You may be notified through e mail in case your software is chosen.
For Extra Info:
Go to the Official Webpage of the ICFJ-Fb Coaching & Reporting Grants Program 2020